- Regulations for the first-cycle, second-cycle and long-cycle master studies effective from 1 October 2017.
- Order of the Rector of the Jagiellonian University of 18 February 2019 on electronic archiving of bachelor's and master's theses in the Archive of Theses (Archiwum Prac).
The terms used in the procedure:
- AP – Archive of Theses (Archiwum Prac): www.ap.uj.edu.pl
- Secretariat – the secretariat or dean's office for student affairs responsible for the administrative support for the major of study
- Council of the Institute - Council of the Institute wherein the thesis is being prepared
- The organisational unit which runs the major of study:
- Biology – Institute of Botany, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Institute of Zoology and Biomedical Research,
- Ecology and Evolution, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Protection and Management – Institute of Environmental Sciences,
- Neurobiology – Institute of Zoology and Biomedical Research,
Selection of the thesis supervisor
- The Student shall make a declaration on the choice of the supervisor of his or her thesis (bachelor's or master's thesis) in the winter semester by 15 October, respectively on the third year of study for
the 1st-cycle studies and the first year of study for the 2nd-cycle studies.
- A bachelor's thesis may be supervised by an academic teacher with at least a doctoral degree (doktor) and employed at least as an assistant professor (adiunkt) or senior lecturer (starszy wykładowca) in the organisational unit which runs the major of study.
- A master's thesis may be supervised by an academic teacher who has a doctoral degree with habilitation (doktor habilitowany) employed at the Faculty of Biology and, with the consent of the Faculty Council, also an assistant professor (adiunkt) or senior lecturer (starszy wykładowca), at least 3 years after being awarded a doctoral degree (doktor).
- In special situations, the Faculty Council, after prior approval of the Deputy Dean for student affair, may agree to carry for the thesis to be prepared outside the Faculty. In this case, the thesis may be supervised by an employee with at least a doctoral degree with habilitation (doktor habilitowany).
- At the student's request, the Deputy Dean for student affairs may consent to the change of the supervisor of the graduate thesis. In the situation referred to in item 4, a new supervisor may be an employee of the Faculty of Biology who meets the conditions set out in item 3.
- The number of students per academic teacher performing the functions of a scientific supervisor and employed at the Institute of Botany, Institute of Environmental Sciences and Institute of Zoology and Biomedical research shall be determined by a relevant order of the Dean of the Faculty of Biology.
- The subject matter of the master's thesis must be consistent with the expected educational results in a given major of study and approved by the Council of the Institute by 30 November in the first year of study.
- The title of the graduate thesis and the reviewers shall be approved by the Council of the Institute by 31 March in the final year of study.
- The reviewer of the graduate thesis may be a research staff member holding at least the doctoral degree (doktor) and scientific achievements in the discipline covered by the thesis. If the supervisor is a research staff member without habilitation, the reviewer should be an academic teacher holding the doctoral degree with habilitation (doktor habilitowany).
- The student is obliged to enter the graduate thesis into the AP system, for final approval by the supervisor, no later than on 15 September in the last academic year of a given course of study.
- The title of the thesis must be consistent with the title approved by the Institute Council and entered into the AP system by the secretariat.
- The condition required for crediting the bachelor's course laboratory in the first-cycle studies and the specialization laboratory in the last semester of the second-cycle studies is the acceptance of the thesis by the supervisor in the AP system.
- The details of the anti-plagiarism procedure are set out in separate Regulations adopted by the Biology Faculty Council on 21 May 2019.
Conditions for the admission to the graduate examination
- The student may be admitted to the graduate examination on the following conditions:
- meeting all the requirements specified in the curriculum for the studies,
- obtaining a positive evaluation of the graduate thesis,
- settlement of one's obligations towards the libraries and the Institute (return of books, maps, equipment, access cards, etc.),
- acceptance of the thesis by the supervisor in the AP system by 30 September of a given academic year at the latest, and delivering the signed JSA anti-plagiarism report to the dean's office,
- submitting to the secretariat, at least 7 working days before the date of the examination, but no later than on 30 September in the last academic year as part of the course of studies, of the following items:
- Application for issue of certified copies of documents certifying completion of studies
- data on the composition of the examination committee and the date of the graduate examination;
- application for placing in the supplement information about additional achievements together with attachments confirming these and the text prepared;
Due to the limited functioning of the university in order to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 virus among the academic community of the Jagiellonian University, all documents should be sent as scans of prints with a personal signature to the e-mail address of the dean's office / secretariat: email@example.com ( biology), firstname.lastname@example.org (neurobiology) or email@example.com.
- The reviewers of a master's thesis or a theoretical bachelor's thesis shall complete the review form in the AP system in text form, and for an experimental bachelor's thesis, the reviewers shall upload the review into the AP system in the PDF format (the model review available after logging in: www.wb.uj.edu.pl/studia/formularze) at least 7 days before the planned date of the examination.
- The student may read the reviews in the AP system.
- The fee for the issuance of the diploma shall be paid by the student prior to the examination to an individual account number specified at USOSweb.
- The examination committee shall consist of the chairman of the examination committee appointed by the Council of the Institute, the supervisor of the thesis and the reviewer.
- For a thesis prepared outside the Faculty, the chairman and the reviewer shall employees of the Faculty of Biology.
- The graduate examination should be held within one month from the date of submission of the graduate thesis (except in the case of the repetition of a year). For justifiable reasons, the Dean may extend the date of the examination by another month.
- Until September 30, 2020, the exam takes place in a remote form, using MS Teams and is in the field of knowledge covered by the study program. The way of conducting diploma exams with the use of MS Teams is specified in the Rector's Regulation No. 41 of the 29th April 2020 on the principles governing the organization of verification of obtained learning outcomes specified in the study program using information technology in connection with the prevention and combating of COVID-19.
- For students who are unable to meet the requirements for diploma exams and indicated in the Rector's ordinance No. 41 of April 29, 2020, appropriate computer workstations in the faculty building will be made available after prior consultation with the Deputy Director of the Institute.
- Model title page of a graduate thesis
- AP–THESES ARCHIVE instruction for students
- Application for issue of certified copies of documents certifying completion of studies translated into English for graduates who began their studies before the academic year 2019/2020
- Application for issue of certified copies of documents certifying completion of studies for graduates who began their studies in the academic year 2019/2020 and resumed their studies in the academic year 2019/2020